Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new to beekeeping and this forum. This is probably the easiest forum I have found to navigate. Some real sage advice from what I've seen so far.

We have our nuc for about 3 weeks. We have a top feeder and can see comb being made in the access holes below the screen. Should we clean this stuff off or let it bee for now?
Man are they ever the thirstiest things. We were told to keep feeding them syrup (1:1 sugar water) till they stopped feeding. so far we have fed about 3 or so gallons. Incredible!....or is it? how often should we be looking into the hive? I am thinking about looking Tomorrow a.m. and seeing how the other frames are building up...is there a too soon or too late?
When we got the nuc there was a lot of comb joining the frames together...we scraped some of the mess off the top of the frames and such...the queen is marked and we could see a lot of larvae...the frames looked old and the comb is very dark and in various stages of capping and honey storage (?).

Thanks from Dennis and Lynn in Pilot Hill, CA

[ June 21, 2006, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Dennis1001 ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would stop feeding if there is nectar for them to gather and remove burr comb when it gets in the way...

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>I would stop feeding if there is nectar for them to gather and remove burr comb when it gets in the way...

Ditto. If the burr isn't in your way, leave it. The bees may just want some ladders. Make sure they haven't plugged the brood nest up with syrup. If there's a good flow the nectar should suffice. Gathering nectar is what they do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts