Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t have bees yet but I’m more than a wannabe I’m a gonnabe. Put my deposit down on 3 nucs due in April just last week. Been to classes and am going to more. However, have learned just as much from this site. Have watched a lot of videos and am reading “beekeeping for dummies”. Have bought more equipment than I’ll probably need but I’d rather be prepared for splitting or swarms than get caught off guard. Also, I am building a couple traps using Dr Leo’s plans.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Welcome, JSneed.

From my very humble vantage point you are off to the right start by doing your homework and reading any and everything you can from well-respected beekeepers. It will put you in a better position to succeed right out of the gate.

Also, my best success has come from locally-caught swarms, so it is my opinion that it is prudent to see how the local swarm stock might perform for you as well.

Best of success to you in your swarm trapping and apiary build-up efforts this year. I will look forward to hearing how things develop for you.

Russ

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome! Best of luck and it sounds like you are positioning yourself for success! If you can get a local mentor from your bee school, it sure will come in handy. Someone that can put eyes on your hive if needed, or even just talk on the phone. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve called my mentor and spoke to him on the phone through my bee veil. Lol

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Biggest and best Alabama bee meeting of the year is in Clanton on February 1. Meghan Millbrath will be speaking and many others. Put on by Alabama Extension Service and Auburn Bee Lab.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Welcome to Bee Source from Lamar County Alabama. I usually put my swarm traps up about the middle of February to give foragers time to find them before the swarm season starts here in March. My traps were made using Dr Leo's plans too. Best of luck with your bees.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to beesource, you mentioned Mt. Hope in a posting you should include it in your profile.

Just because beekeeping is so localized you will be able to get more relevant info to any questions you may have.

Just a thought.

Happy Home

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Welcome to Beesource JSneed. Woodenware for beehives is like ammunition, you can never have "enough". The hobby is very addictive and you'll be needing more "stuff" before you know it.

I put your location in for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts