Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have not posted here in awhile, but I wanted to just share my experience-I'll try to keep it short. Released my 1st two packages here in NH on 4/27 and it was 6:30pm(got my bees late) and about 50 degrees F. Had the BeeBus, feeder was empty, Did not spray them down as it was expected to get down to 40 degrees, after dumping them in---There was SO MANY bees flying around; at first, I was slightly overwhelmed with so may bees, out in the apiary all by myself, took me about a minute to settle in and then something hit me-- It felt like time stood still. Such an incredibly feeling and hard to describe. Installed the bees, put the frames together a bit, and directly released both queens. There were bees around the cage, not trying to sting here or acting aggressive towards her, hence the direct release. Shortly after, the bees flying around, grounded into their new home. Both hives went the same way.

--Did my 1st inspection yesterday 5/4 1pm 65 degrees F. Working my way outside to inside-- on frame 10 a few bees working on the foundation, frame 9 bees starting to build comb, frame 8 bees had built out comb with nectar and pollen, frame 7 had built out comb and eggs. I stopped the inspection and sealed it up. Both hives were pretty much identical. The weather has been rainy, wet and cold. This was only the second nice day since installing, so my instinct was to seal them up and let them get to work, and not stress them. Initial success, from my perspective, but understand its only step 1 in a skyscraper. Just thought I'd share. I Have received some good info from this site so thought I would share. I'm not suggesting anything or implementing how things should be done, just my exhilarating experience. Cheers!!

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,517 Posts
You were in the Bee Zone. Time stands still as you work with the bees. In the summer though, it still gets hot.:scratch:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts