Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does it look like my hive is overflowing with bees?

I have switched to a screened bottom a couple weeks ago, I propped up the lid too to make sure the are not over heating.

After they filled all but a couple frames in the 2nd brooder box I added a super. I also found larva in the 2nd brooder so I knew it was time to add a super.

They have done no comb building on the super I added about two or three weeks ago, when I open the hive everywhere is filled with bees! They cover the landing pad and about 1/4 of the front of the hive, it seems to an inexperienced bee keeper they have outgrown their home. I did not tare the hive apart, but the last time I did a few weeks ago there was so sign of queen cells indicating a swam in the making. Even the inner cover had maybe 100 bees covering a big area of it.

Is it normal for a hive to be "overflowing" with bees?

TIA
wkinne

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
A couple things, it has been hot and humid here in Michigan all summer long, the bees hang out on the entrance, front of the hive, top of the inner cover to stay cooler. Next, the main honeyflow is over here in Michigan, we are between flows right now waiting for the fall flow to begin, so the bees don't need to draw comb for storage of nectar, they are probably backfilling the brood nest if anything. If your brood box is the same depth as your supers, try putting a frame or two of sealed brood up into the super to bait the bees up there, when the fall flow starts they will draw the comb in the super faster. John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts