Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , so here it goes. I am getting two packages of bees next week. I know i need to feed the bees the sugar syrup. Which i am using a bottom board feeder. I also read that you should install the entrance reducer for awhile to help the bees fight off robbers. Question is in order to get the entrance reducer in the way it is supposed to with the feeder in the front. Do i cut my stock reducer to fit up against the feeder? Or just use something else to narrow the opening in the hive?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...Do i cut my stock reducer to fit up against the feeder? Or just use something else to narrow the opening in the hive? ..."
either way. if you cut off the stock reducer, save the piece for when you are not feeding. what works best for me is a gallon paint can on top of the frames and covered with an empty deep brood box. good luck,mike

·
Registered
706 Posts
I use top feeders but if a bordman is all you got here is a good way of doing it.
you know the hole in the inner cover? place the boardman over a 1/4 of the opening drible some in to the hive. place your emty deep on top then cover it works just like a top feeder place you reducer in your all set. then when your next deep needs to be put on place a emty super to do the same thing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Entrance feeders can invite robbers. That is why you will see their use pretty widely discouraged--especially for a new or week colony that can not defend iteslf. You can use the boardman "inside" the hive as suggested in the last post. You can also use almost any container that is air tight except for a few small holes punched in the top that the bees will feed from when the container is inverted. It can be inverted directly on the top bars of your frames or invert it over a hole in your inner cover. I find that if I feed over the hole in the inner cover, I can open the top and re-fill/replace the feeder without actually opening the hive. I just shake off the few bees that are usually on the feeder when I remove it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
we only use the entrace feeders for water in the summer when they are needing extra water

we switched from frame feeders to pails this year -that way we can fill them at the house and then just swap them in the fields - also makes it so that they get washed every time they get fed -

if you dont want to cut your store bought reducer - just grab a chunk of 1x2 or 1x1 and place it there - just so that they have about a 1" long entrance

i always keep scraps for that reason - just find an old bucket and start saving the trimming - most lumber stores have scraps even - or a next door nieghbor -

ive even seen the sides of old sour cream containers stapled in place -

think out side the box!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts