Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to beekeeping. I installed two packages in top bar hives this week (on Sunday) and everything was off to a good start. They are drinking a lot of sugar syrup and already building comb. One of the hives had not released the queen yesterday so today I opened that hive again to add more/larger sugar syrup jars and release her/remove the queen cage. This time the queen had been released so that part was easy but one small new comb fell into the hive. From what I could see during the brief inspection, there was some nectar in it but no brood. In my state of panic I replaced the top bar instead of removing the comb from the bottom of the hive or trying to reattach it. Do you think I can wait till my next inspection in about a couple of weeks or should I open the hive to reattach? I am worried that opening the hive too frequently will lead them to abscond.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Welcome to beesource...and welcome to the oh so exciting world of top bar beekeeping.

As I'm sure you're aware, new comb is incredibly fragile. Not only can it break off easily if you handle the top bar incorrectly, but it's incredibly soft and delicate. As the comb gets used, and with a little time, it won't fall off so easily and will stiffen up quite a bit.

It sounds like the piece that fell was rather small. I would simply remove it and not think twice about it. The girls will draw out new comb and it will be like it never happened.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts