Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking into starting a few hives here in Beaverton, and I'd like to find someone knowledgeable to help get me started. I am a gardener and brewer, so I will have plenty to offer in return!

I'd like to start preparing for bee keeping next year. I have 3/4 acre in an area with a lot of vegetation, and very flexible neighbors. I have a few ideas for locations, but I'd like to play with the idea of building two top bar hives that would fit under the eves on my roof.

Thank you in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Welcome, I am east of you in Boring, I thing there is a guy in Sheridan (JB) take a look at the Western bee keeping thread for others by you. I just got done checking the hives by the house and my MO seems to be to just put it back together and go think about it. The longer I am at it the less certain I am.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
There are also a couple of facebook groups
Klamath Basin Beekeepers
West Coast Beekeepers
A lot of OR, WA beekeepers

·
Registered
817 Posts
Welcome to beesource, there are several bee clubs to choose from in the portland area. check with ruhl bee supply for a list.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Welcome Mike! Looks like you've already got some great advice for possible mentors in your area. I'm in a club here in NE Kansas, and it's been helpful. You're very smart to be preparing now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello Mike,

I live about 30 min away from Beaverton in Vancouver WA. I got 4 hives myself, and this is my 2nd year. I do know a few folks near you out there. You can get some bees going now and over winter them. I know that if you start with a package you won't get it going until the end of April. That timeframe is after they start to grow after the winter hibernation. Mine started growing in March.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts