Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After painting the bee hives that I ordered, I realized that I didn't order correctly. I have two 9 3/4" hive bodies and six 6 3/4" supers. My plan was to start with two hives and two supers for each hive. My question is, can I use a 6" super as a brood chamber with the the 9"? If I can should I place on top of the 9" or below it?

·
Registered
760 Posts
time for a new tape measure???? the boxes should be 9 5/8" and 6 5/8"

but at any rate the bees dont care

what i would do is run one hive with 2 deeps and supers for honey

and the other run all 6 5/8 med for it

this way you can see what works best for you - a LOT of keepers run all med supers for brood and honey -- kinda nice to have a one size fits all -

the only draw back that ive came across is that its 10 more frames to inspect per brood chamber

also you are going to have to run 3 med as brood chamber

you want about 20 inches high for brood and the extra for surplus honey

you sound new to bees and that is good !!!- you will find that do what works for you -

deeps are about 80-90lbs full
med are about 60lbs

im about 150 soaking wet so i "should" be running med but i like to run deeps

anyhow try one of each and buy more of what you like
remember the bees only care that it has a small door and a dry roof - the rest is for you to play with

take care and keep us posted on your finding - if you take this route

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That's some good "concrete advice" :)
The bees don't mind. Feral bees aren't looking for a place with particular dimensions. I agree to work with whatever suits you style and abilities. The bees will adapt.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree...
run one hive setup as 2 deeps and use a shallow or two for honey supers. Use you remaining 4 supers to start your other hive and decide what you like best. Yes, a lot of beekeepers are going to all medium supers because they are easier to handle than the deeps. Some of us are getting older and the lighter supers are kinder to our bad backs. Best wishes to you...

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
It is perfectly acceptable to run one deep and two mediums for brood chambers. As mentioned before, the bees don't care.
We personally run a mix, with the deeps on top holding a permanent division feeder.

One of the benefits of starting out with 2 colonies is the ability to share resources between them. While trying both configurations might be instructive, (deeps on one, mediums on the other) it would be difficult to transfer brood in a case where you lose a queen, or to share honey and pollen for winter resources if needed. Especially in your first year, this is an important benefit not to be given up lightly.
Sheri

·
Registered
575 Posts
Do a search on checkerboarding. Its a method of swarm prevention. From what I recall, it works best with one deep brood chamber and two medium brood chambers.

Medium brood chambers are gaining popularity because of the lighter weight and some keepers have cut down their deeps and frames to mediums.

My 5 hives are all configured for two deeps, two shallow supers for cut comb and miller type top feeders and I am working with a Top Bar with high hopes. If I could do over, I'd seriously consider mediums for Langstroth and try to gain success with Top Bars. My hives don't go anywhere and TB's cost 1/4 of Langs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts