Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah, I've been lurking for quite a while and the pun is always the same.

This is a great resource grozzy's anatomy of a mite crash is epic, and should be recommended for all new bee keepers. I live about an hour or so West of JWpalmer, and an hour and half or so West of Johno (which I plan on patronizing here shortly). I've been learning a lot from other's experiences here, books, articles, etc. I had no intention of posting anything, but decided after my last inspection to ask some opinion. I have a picture, and will post the thread in the appropriate forum (maybe).

I got my first package, ever, on March 25th, and have inspected the hive now 5 times (today being the fifth), on Saturday I pick up my first Nuc. This has been an unseasonably warm spring, and while I haven't kept a journal about plants, people here in the piedmont have been suggesting that blooms are popping earlier than normal. I saw my first forsythia bloom in February. I was going to contribute back then, but I'm not even sure I was a member then. As soon as I got my bees they were busy. I have lots of build out, and I observed comb in the first 10 days, 1 week after that there was lots of egg laying going on. Two weeks later a lot of covered brood comb. I've been supplementing them with 1:1 sugar water.

Anyhow, for some of the regulars, I've read most of your posts going back a couple of years. If you look at your profile you can see that I've visited your page. I know my profile name is endabcs, but that is an old college football reference, I can assure you that I have nothing against the abcs. I see that some of you engage in politics, and as heated as it gets, I can promise you, I will not weigh in on screen bottom boards, or treatment free beekeeping... And I thought religion and politics were argumentative and caustic.

I hope I have my profile set up right, so that my signature shows that I'm in USDA agricultural zone 7A and live at the foothills of the piedmont of VA, elevation 460'

It appears to me that beekeepers are people in search of a problem that has multiple solutions, none of them right for everyone, and all of them right for just about anyone.

I get it, all beekeeping is local, but some problems are universal.

So, hello ya'll, and here goes

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Welcome to the forums endabcs. Orange is a beautiful county and Gordonsville in particular is just awesome at night. You will find that anything that johno or I do would apply to you as our temperatures only vary a few degrees. Beekeepers all have opinions about what works "best". Given an opportunity, we like to share them. This is especially true when so many are confined to the house.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,547 Posts
welcome abcs,

as long as 7 or 8 answers to your query is not too many you should do fine.

to start,, play this like "are you smarter than a 5th grader"
cheat-- copy someones answer and try it what the heck you were guessing...
peak-- look at the answers and decide if you like them better than you own... I think I know but before I need to beg for help....
Or lock it in ---- take the hit, do the deed , then ask what should have I done, realizing rarely can you undo the deed.

its all good, often you will get an idea from someone else question, I already have more things to try that years left to try them but hey, it's a hobby.
Still cheaper than my buddies dual 350 V8 "boat"
:)
GG

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It appears to me that beekeepers are people in search of a problem that has multiple solutions, none of them right for everyone, and all of them right for just about anyone.
endabcs:

Welcome to Beesource and to the posting side of the forum- you can't lurk around anymore ;).

I like your truism above, and I think that it speaks to the reality that we all have different goals for our apiary and definitions of success.

Thankfully, bees seem to be remarkably resilient and able to adapt to many of the decisions (some good, some not so good) that we impose upon them.

While I am significantly West of you, I am also in Climate Zone 7a, and I suppose I technically live in what was previously the colony of Virginia...

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Welcome to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts