Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 1 of 10 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
It could be said everyone is allergic to honey bee stings to some degree or another. There just happens to be that small percent who are allergic to the point of anaphylaxis. While some people exaggerate to give valid reasons to their fears, some don't. It's never something I'd want to see put to the test. If you want to go the extreme nice route, have the kid get a prescription for an EpiPen and reimburse the family.

Simple and already mentioned precautions would be to keep your hive away from that side of the property and give it a visual barrier (out of sight, out of mind) and so bees will have to go up before heading in that direction.

We have been reading a few books and we would rather not do so much pharma drugs.
Nothing says you have to treat your bees as all. Many are treatment free with success and others fail repeatedly and either start treating or abandon the hobby. The choice is yours. Whichever way you decide, I'd suggest doing so responsibly. Learn the signs of problem, perform mite checks, weigh your options and choose a course of action in an informed (as much as possible manner). I feel no method should be done blindly and we have and will make mistakes. It's part of the learning.
1 - 1 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.