Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been stalking this forum about a year now:) About time I introduced myself! I am in Southern BC Canada. I got my first 8 nucs this April and have learned so much from those great lil bees! I know everyone says start with 2 or 3 hives but I don't do anything small :) I also was able to take a bee keeping coarse locally as well as a really great course from "John Gates" here in BC on Queen rearing! I am currently learning along with 5 of my 9 children and hope to teach my grandson soon about beekeeping as well! I have grown my hives from 8 to 12 in 4 months with my 12 yr old son and 10 yr old daughter who chased and captured a swarm from our hives this July! I gave my 12 yr old son and 13 & 10 yr old daughters their own hive's due to their interest and enthusiasm! I just ordered "Michael Bush" book and few others and very excited to try foundation less hives. I already started out with all mediums and plastic frames as per instructor recommendations. I hope to have 200 to 300 hives one day! I Plan practice sustainable beekeeping and raise my own queens that are over wintered in our cold climate. So far with IPM( drone trapping and SBB) I have kept mite count really low and plan to to use treatment free practices as long as possible but not opposed to intervention if needed. I look forward to many years of learning and enjoying beekeeping!

Irene/ MamaBee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome! ABruce you are indeed close to me :) I am in Mara. It is funny how since we started beekeeping how many hives we see around the area. The ones on the highway just after Armstrong heading to Vernon have peaked my curiosity for years! Now when the kids and I see them we know exactly what they are all about. You must know who John Gates is then? I was thrilled to get into his course this year! We are in the middle of planning to move to Likley/Horsefly but after the Polly mine tailings pond breach everything is up in the air. I am concerned with winterizing the hives here being so wet/cold and my first winter with bees. I am glad I found this site it has been a amazing resource for research over the past year!

Irene

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Irene,
Its my first year too and I live in a frost pocket. But I talk to people who keep bees in Alberta outside over winter, and in places like Hope which is wetter so I think its all possible. That tailing pond mess is a major concern, I feel for all the people in the area both the lost jobs and the environmental damage hopefully there is a satisfactory outcome. I sure know of john gates. a bit of a local legend. What's your goal? Is this a hobby or is it a business? Did you get honey this year. We were not planning on any but apparently our bees don't read a lot of what I do they have created some for us too. But I got home from work today and we have a nosy black bear has just showed up so we have yet another new challenge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts