Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I took a class, and yesterday, set up our first 2 hives! Queen escaped for #1, #2 went as planned and we got a new queen today and just installed her in the queen-less hive. Noticed a lot of the bees had begun congregating underneath the hive (set on pallet) almost like photos of a swarm.

IMG_0283.jpg

welcome any suggestions or ideas. We're just worried that it's too late!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Our instructor just called and let us know what we feared - this is a swarm around the queen, who came back...but we have no other hive boxes to work with. He's suggesting we scoop up what we can...and place in another box? Dang. We both thought it looked like a swarm...and now we know.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yep, doesn't look like the queen went very far. Go out to the shed an build a quick nuc or box of some kind and give them a home. You just scored a third hive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @Jadeguppy!
We're going to try this - the other option was to remove newly added queen...or spray current swarm w/ sugar water and dump into the existing hive, and then either remove that queen or leave both (since we don't know if we'll grab the original queen when we try to collect the swarm. It's in a difficult spot underneath that pallet.

Our other question was how close for the new hive? I only set up 2 pallets, so we will grab another...unless it's ok to keep 2 hives on one pallet? Thanks SO much for the speedy response!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I assume its the angle of the pic, but you do have a bottom board, right? If its a screened bottom board, close it up. Was this a package?
Many people have hives close together so putting #3 on the same pallet is not a major issue once you have the queen issue sorted out. I would take a piece of cardboard or cookie sheet and slide it under the cluster than then reach in with your hand and try to gather them up. If its too far in, a dusting wand may work well. If needed, a stick will do. If you do decide to combine,a LIGHT spray of sugar water is good, but be sure you don't have 2 queens in one hive. Good luck. J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks @FiveJ -

To your questions: didn't have a number of things for the 3rd (new) one, but the OG isn't a screened bottom board (so, yeah, angle)

Thinking outside the box...we had a neighbor we knew wasn't getting bees until May 5th - called and he had the extra pieces we needed to create another nuc! We set up another transfer pallet, slide the original hive (that had lost the queen and then received the new one) to that pallet. Set up the new box on another pallet further away, lifted the original pallet on it's end, suspended over the new box...sprayed w/ sugar water and dropped the whole swarm in and put it back together! #1 has the new queen, #2 still has it's original queen and #3 (new) has the original queen / swarm. I'm hoping the new queen in#1 will attract enough bees?

If we got lucky, we'll have 3 now, thanks in no small part to the answers from you guys! My wife's the leader here and I was terrified of bees until she started this; I borrowed the neighbors screen / gloves and got into it for the first time today (necessity is...!). Here's a pic of the end results. I just checked 20 min. ago and all 3 seem to be doing just fine. IMG_0288.jpg
Ben / Holly

·
Registered
915 Posts
You could put 4 hives on each one of those pallets......but it's fine the way it is also. Glad you got it worked out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts