Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand New to beekeeping and have what I am pretty sure is "normal behavior" but curiosity and being new, Im going to ask anyway.
I installed two packages today in brand new hives.
Pretty successful and fluid.
Probably about 5% bee loss and only one sting (one got up my pant leg).

Used very little smoke - just a bit when I went to pull the queen cage out of the package.
Had very little aggression and a few fly bys, but nothing huge.
After I got done and stripped off my coat I found i had several bees hanging out in the coat and veil with me but no aggression at all so I'm taking that to mean I did a fair job of transferring them.

So I got the queens in and the bulk of the bees shook into the hive bodies with inline feeders.
Bees almost immediately found the feeders while others went directly to the entrance and started fanning and other bee activities.

I've observed them scouting all over, they've found the seasonal spring for water and a couple other places where water has pooled already.
It's easy to tell because while I have observed lots of solitary bees here at home, I've seen little or no honey bee activity till now.

So as far as I can tell NEWBwise, they're doing good and settling in. Both hives are relatively docile despite inspection by the dog, the cat and my peeking in a few times.

What they're doing now (I peeked) is mostly clustered on the lid, centered around where I hung the queen cage between the frames ) I was instructed between 2nd and 3rd frames counting from the feeder) . . quite a number of bees are clustered on the top bars or clinging to the lid. Both hives are doing this so I am guessing this is queen related or for warmth? Its roughly low fifties today with intermittent showers and a little snow flurry early this morning. I've seen bees exiting the hive and returning, or fanning, climbing around the outside of the hive (just a few) and so forth which all appears to be routine behavior for them.

Thanks, Bane.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Welcome to Beesource. Sounds like you got off to a great start. I hived a few packages this past week with the temps about 37 degrees and in cool weather or with light rain, they kind of stay on you when they land. You'll get used to doing a quick shake of your veil or shrug of your jacket before you call it quits to get rid of most of the stragglers. With the bees in packages, they tend to (this is NOT a cardinal rule) to be a little less aggressive although there are always exceptions. They're confused, have a new queen, don't have brood or food to defend so lots of times they're fairly easy to work with. It's always neat to see them orient themselves to their surroundings and you'll be pleased when you see them here and there. One thing beekeeping has taught me is to look at the little things and pay attention. It's quite satisfying to walk along the road and see one of our bees on a single, lonesome flower that I would never have noticed if I didn't have bees.

Sounds like your colony is acting pretty normal, keeping the queen and themselves warm. Enjoy watching them. I'd refrain from digging into them too much for a while once you pull the queen cage. Let the queens get settled and the colony get started and then it'll be time for a good inspection.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Worst reaction I've had was to a sting when a bee crawled up my leg. Now I tuck my pants into my socks. Just be glad they didn't crawl higher. ;)

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

p.s. It will help if you add your general location. Advise varies depending on the region.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to Beesource. Sounds like you got off to a great start. I hived a few packages this past week with the temps about 37 degrees and in cool weather or with light rain, they kind of stay on you when they land. You'll get used to doing a quick shake of your veil or shrug of your jacket before you call it quits to get rid of most of the stragglers. With the bees in packages, they tend to (this is NOT a cardinal rule) to be a little less aggressive although there are always exceptions. They're confused, have a new queen, don't have brood or food to defend so lots of times they're fairly easy to work with. It's always neat to see them orient themselves to their surroundings and you'll be pleased when you see them here and there. One thing beekeeping has taught me is to look at the little things and pay attention. It's quite satisfying to walk along the road and see one of our bees on a single, lonesome flower that I would never have noticed if I didn't have bees.

Sounds like your colony is acting pretty normal, keeping the queen and themselves warm. Enjoy watching them. I'd refrain from digging into them too much for a while once you pull the queen cage. Let the queens get settled and the colony get started and then it'll be time for a good inspection.

Congratulations!
Excellent. I suspected as much. This has been something I've wanted to do for quite awhile and finally have a place to invest time into it. I'm guessing I shouldn't worry about anything more than syrup unless the flowers don't show up in a few weeks. I have a number of fruit trees here, the neighboring property has a number of untended fruit trees as well. I've planted quite a few flowering plants, more on the way and seeded Wild Flowers as well. Thanks for you quick response Bane.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I meant to state that, I'm in North Idaho in the Silver Valley.
I got quite lucky actually. I thought I felt the bee in a rather sensitive area.
Fortunately the bee wandered around to the other end before my wallet pinched it . . :p

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I meant to state that, I'm in North Idaho in the Silver Valley.
I got quite lucky actually. I thought I felt the bee in a rather sensitive area.
Fortunately the bee wandered around to the other end before my wallet pinched it . . :p
Hey Bane, welcome to the forum. I can recommend, you check your fly before working the bees , Just sayin....You can, learn from the experience of others. Have fun reading the threads.
GG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D . . no . . she took the long route . . crawled up my leg . . . didnt tuck and roll my pants . . besides, flys are for flys . . my pants dont have a "bee" zipper :p

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have started wearing cheap gaitors after having a bee climb up my leg and get me. I know some people also tape the bottom of their pants to their shoes/socks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts