Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm 40 yrs old, and i used to raise bees when i was in middle school.. Just getting back into in.. got 4 hives coming next week..

i always thought that people would get new bees via swarms... i never knew you could just buy a queen and put her in with a bunch of frames from another hive...

I for some reason always thought bees could tell invaders by smell (dont know where i got that from..) so if a robber came by, he would smell differently and they would fight..

but i digress..

I am looking at photos of people who are selectively breeding queens... using the frames that have no comb, just racks of queen cells.. didnt know you could do this... seems pretty difficult, but any websites on the basics of this?

my real question is.. when mine start to make queen cells in the brooder, can i just cut one out and throw it in another empty hive with a frame of brood and bees... not that i would 'just throw it in'... but it seems that simple to me.. eventually the queen would hatch, run out and find a boyfriend or two, and come back in and start laying...

the newest of the newbs..

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
my real question is..
Just one? LOL

when mine start to make queen cells in the brooder, can i just cut one out and throw it in another empty hive with a frame of brood and bees...
Coarse way of putting it, but yea, as a start...

not that i would 'just throw it in'...
LOL

but it seems that simple to me..
A frame of brood and a frame of nectar with a shake of nurse bees, and the thrown in cell of course! Stronger is better, but this would be the minimum, I'd say.

eventually the queen would hatch, run out and find a boyfriend or two,
a boyfriend or 20 we hope!

and come back in and start laying...
in a perfect world. Yea, that's pretty much how it works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts