Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
83BDE1B0-DB77-4E6A-A955-3A1446618D85.jpeg

Hi!!! I am not a beekeeper yet, but an avid Gardner. I have noticed many species of bees in my yard, and 2 days ago found this American bumble bee (first time seeing one on my property). She (I assume she) has been churched up in a sunflower for 2 days now. Yes she’s alive. The first day I saw her fly into sunflower gathering pollen, and then saw her rest...2 days later she’s still there, moving ever so slightly but very much alive...we she saw me staring for a bit, she buzzed her wings. Anyone have any idea what might be happening ? I realize they’re endangered and I love knowing what’s going on around me especially in my garden.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Where are you at and what is your weather like? It may be that she is cold and on her "last leg" and if so there is not much you can do to help her out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
(y) What Elmer said. She is probably resting / warming / eating. Bees that get cold have to warm their wing muscles in order to fly and "buzzing" is a way of flexing to warm faster. In bumbles it is also thought to be a protective or intimidation thing to ward off threats and then also a method to "trick" certain flowers to open access to the pollen (tomatoes). I don't know this to be true, I read a lot.

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
You could try giving it a little honey or sugar water to eat and see if that will revive it.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Although AngieD727 has not been back yet, I suspect it is not terribly cold where she is. She is an "avid gardener" so would know when to plant the sunflowers and that one is a long way from a winter die off. Hopefully she is not spraying something like Sevin on the veggies.

Reactions: Oldtimer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although AngieD727 has not been back yet, I suspect it is not terribly cold where she is. She is an "avid gardener" so would know when to plant the sunflowers and that one is a long way from a winter die off. Hopefully she is not spraying something like Sevin on the veggies.
Lol I live in Florida so we get the pleasure of growing sunflowers all year and I wouldnt even think of spraying sevin. I am learning the organic methods. It has been a fun journey. Bless you brother and thank you for your response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you at and what is your weather like? It may be that she is cold and on her "last leg" and if so there is not much you can do to help her out.
Thank you for your response. After 2.5 days my lady has flown away after it warmed up. I live in Florida and we had a couple days in the 50’s 60’s so I think she was cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could try giving it a little honey or sugar water to eat and see if that will revive it.
I think she was cold. I live in FL and it was a little chilly, she flew away after 2.5 days and it was a warmer day when she did. Thank you so much for your kindness and response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(y) What Elmer said. She is probably resting / warming / eating. Bees that get cold have to warm their wing muscles in order to fly and "buzzing" is a way of flexing to warm faster. In bumbles it is also thought to be a protective or intimidation thing to ward off threats and then also a method to "trick" certain flowers to open access to the pollen (tomatoes). I don't know this to be true, I read a lot.
Very interesting about the buzzing and tomatoes. I will read more about that as well thank you so much for sharing with me. I do think she was cold and she flew away after 2.5 days. I live in Florida and we’ve had some chilly weather she was gone on a warmer day in the 70’s. I have just never Personally observed a bumble chill on a flower for 2 days so it got me wondering! Off to reading about that buzzing 🐝

1 - 9 of 9 Posts