Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
857FE46D-B0B8-4272-8819-DB88183BC7CD.jpg I’m in NZ on vacation with my wife and daughter and can’t help but do some beekeeping tourism while down here (to their dismay!). We stopped at Honeybee World, a roadside shop south of Christchurch that sells all sorts of Manuka honey products. Pretty amazing prices that they get for jars that are only about 8 ounces. The salesperson said most of their sales are to Asians as apparently they tend to lack some of the digestive enzymes (?) that Manuka helps replace. At least that was the pitch... I wonder if there is any science to back it up?

She wasn’t a beek herself but said that varroa has become a big issue in the last few years.

Apparently there are increasing conflicts between beekeepers about hive locations as much of the Manuka (a native brush) is on public land and as the price has escalated so has the number of beekeepers who compete for the limited (and often remote) acreage.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There was an article in abj it didn’t mention this lack of something but did say a Chinese company bought a large bee operation there. It’s my understanding Manuka is tea tree.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts