·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On and off, mostly getting my hives ready for the spring, appear to be doing good only lost a samll nuc and one hive that moved to the outer frames and froze (I think). 15 left. Hope to be at 25 before fall.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
This is not just an interesting article, it is something many readers on this forum could benefit from. It exemplifies why so many beekeepers fail to get a profitable honey crop. The only person who should replace large percentages of his combs yearly is the bee breeder who is selling bees (as nucs), not someone who is producing honey.

I have practiced comb replacement on a 5 year rotation for several years. I know it costs me some honey production but it does help reduce disease pressure. I feel that the impact is overall about balanced.

Fusion

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Silver:

I bet the work is keeping you busy! I hope to have a few more hives this year and get the one in longview here in eugene. I bought all my woodware and frames that I will need and will start putting them together soon. I joined the local beekeeping club here. There are TONS of people in it. I might try queen rearing this year for experamental purposes. Maybe will make it up to your beeyard this year.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Note that this is all about the brood chamber. It said that the supers were drawn in all cases. So, bees can't make new bees without drawn comb. Seems obvious. Mama has to have a place to lay. Minimal brood comb will limit hive size. QED.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm very new to bee keeping , just ordered 4 hives and 4 3lb packages of bees.Bees from local bee keeper , hives from mannlake.As I was reading this article I was wondering what my chances are of wintering these bees this comeing winter?
Not too concered with the honey flow as I expected it to bee light to none this first year.
Also I will be using the plastic frames with the waxed rite cell foundation , any comments or suggestions ,advice?
I'm in what many call the deep south (Alabama) :confused:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ke4uz

Try to get the video tapes Honey bee & beekeeping "A Year In The Life Of An Apiary"
Entomologist Dr.Keith Delaplane
Excellent videos

Terry

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I'm very new to bee keeping , just ordered 4 hives and 4 3lb packages of bees.Bees from local bee keeper , hives from mannlake.As I was reading this article I was wondering what my chances are of wintering these bees this comeing winter?

Very good.

>Not too concered with the honey flow as I expected it to bee light to none this first year.
Also I will be using the plastic frames with the waxed rite cell foundation , any comments or suggestions ,advice?

Feed, feed feed.

>I'm in what many call the deep south (Alabama)

You could feed all winter if you need to, but likely they will build up fine and do fine. You might even get some honey. Just don't count on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts