Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had good luck starting Langstroth hives but this topbar hive has been an issue for me. Since it was really cold out I placed the queen cage as best as I could in the middle of a top bar. The issue is inspecting this hive in the first few days is near impossible for me. The Langstroth hives start with foundation for bees to not scatter everywhere but the topbar hive the bees just go everywhere since they don't have any comb yet. I imagine it gets much easier in time. The bees did release the queen from the cage but I have no idea if she ran off after opening it up. I didn't stick around and try to find her but it looked like a scene from arachnophobia coming out of the hive but in this case it was bees. Any help would be appreciated. With a top bar hive do you just have to hold off inspecting it for a month and pull the queen cage out from the side not opening the top bars near the cluster?

Trying to prevent a repentance of last year where I ended up with a laying worker due to losing the queen a few times in this thing probably for the same reason.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts