Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got into beekeeping this year. I read alot of books, but not sure this was covered and don't have any local folks to ask.

Just installed a nuc this spring so I didn't think they would swarm this season. They have been bunched up on the front of the hive like this for at least 2 days now. They did it to a lesser extent a week ago then it dissipated.

Maybe I need to add another hive body? The frames aren't full on the top one yet.

Picture of the bees on the front of the hive.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Looks like they are "bearding" meaning they are hanging out outside either getting out of the way inside the hive and or helping to cool it off. All 12 of mine do this starting aat about 2 hrs before dark and they quickly grow into this thick beard. Sometimes they go up the hive like yours are doing as well. They could need more venelation, although i added screen bottom boards and propped tops on mine and it didnt do any good. They still beard. Use the 70-80% rule. If 70-80% of the top box is drawn, add another one for them...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent... thanks for the help.. Mine too are doing it a couple hours before dark. I added a board to shade the hive, but think I need to move it so it doesn't get much afternoon sun.

Also sounds like I have waited too long on adding another body as I had about a frame and half not full last I looked...

Lot's to learn I guess...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Jim, we are in SHB territory. I know exactly the town you live in and FULL SUN is a good thing. It helps against Small Hive Beetles. I keep my hives cramped, probably like yours, but i pay very close attention to them(ask my wife). I have found this to be VERY VERY effective against the SHB down here, at least for me. This way i have no needs for bettel traps, and the bees will cool the hive if needed. Bearding is a common thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts