Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to bee keeping. My husband and I bought three hive three years ago and harvested one time and now had to start all over again :/ I'm determined to learn as much as I can to prevent loosing more bees. We live in Texas and have a small hobby farm with grassfed beef and hopefully honey. :) I would love any advice you can give us!

Our biggest problem right now is we tried to relocate a wild hive from a tree. We bought new queen clipped and marked and transferred the brood and honey comb to the frames. Now the bees are hanging out on the outside of the box. Why? It's been ten days since the transfer date. What's wrong? Is there something I can do? image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,032 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

I'm writing this without being able to see your photo (attachments in the Welcome forum need a moderator's approval). It is possible that the bearding outside the hive is unrelated to the move and the new queen. It could be that the hive is too small, or those foragers have determined that there is nothing to forage.

Did you introduce the new queen in a cage? Have you checked to see that she has been released yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Beesource!

I'm writing this without being able to see your photo (attachments in the Welcome forum need a moderator's approval). It is possible that the bearding outside the hive is unrelated to the move and the new queen. It could be that the hive is too small, or those foragers have determined that there is nothing to forage.

Did you introduce the new queen in a cage? Have you checked to see that she has been released yet?
We did introduce with a queen cage and we made sure she was out last night.
They are in the middle of a hay field with farm land all around. Wild flowers are finished for the season. But there are a few garden near by.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Welcome. You'll find it is normal for bees to "hang out" on the front of the hive. It gets hot inside the hive and some foragers will stay out side to avoid adding their body heat inside. At night you can look and they'll be a zillion of em outside the hive. Normal behavoir.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If they were too crowded or too hot, that pic would have shown lots of bees on the porch fanning or on the face of the hive too. The absence of bees on the front of the hive except in that tight cluster means that there's probably a queen in there. Are you sure that your purchased queen stayed in the hive? Maybe she tried to leave and didn't get too far. Or maybe the colony's original queen survived and she's the one booted out. I'd say you need to gently brush the cluster into a dustpan and pour them back into the hive to give them a new start. If there's a second queen, maybe they will sort it out again, and have better luck staying in the hive with the winner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts