Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to swarm trapping. I think I may have a good location to put some out though. I have a grown up fence row, it is probably 6 hundred feet long or so. It has lots of old twisted up hedge apple trees but it also has some nice straight trees too( i dont know what they are though).

I have a 40' extension ladder that I rarely use. Anyone with a 40' extension ladder probably knows why it gets rarely used by a homeowner. It is too long to setup by myself, its too long to haul around & when you do get it set up, you may be up to 40' off the ground! The heck with that. Anyway. I keep the ladder broken down into two halves. I got to thinking, I could strap that half ladder up to one of those straight trees & hang some swarm traps from the rungs. With some hooks or something like that. That single section is like 22 feet long or something like that. I could put some hives at varying heights up to that 22 feet or so.

Does this sound like an ok idea? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
11,145 Posts
If you put traps at 20 ft high, and are fortunate to be successful, then you still have to get that box of bees down to the ground - with both you and the box intact. :)

My boxes are no higher than 9 ft, (and I too have a 28 ft ladder that is no fun to reposition either). A couple of steps on a stepladder is as high as I am willing to go for free bees.

Seeley's Swarm Trap study suggested the optimum height for traps was about 15 ft.
http://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/1813/2653/2/Bait Hives for Honey Bees.pdf

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I see what you are saying about the height being an issue. If I dont go high, do you think the ladder idea is ok, just giving me a place to hang boxes?

Rob

·
Super Moderator
11,145 Posts
If I was going to use a ladder as a horizontal platform, I think I would put the traps on top of the flat ladder. But even a 20 ft section of ladder is heavy and awkward.

I built some quick-n-dirty:D oversize L-brackets (with a diagonal brace added) out of scrap lumber. I strap an inverted pair of those to a tree trunk with ratchet straps and set the trap on top. If necessary some more scrap shims level things out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts