Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let me say thanks to all of you helpful folks who have posted. I have gained more knowledge in the last few weeks than I have in 4 years of trying to keep bees(I have done a very poor job though)Thanks to dave who encouraged me to post also.
Like I said, I have managed to have bees for 4 years and some how they have lived and produced honey despite of me.
My first experience in asking someone about beekeeping was a bad one. They would not share any info and actually discouraged me from atempting it. But I did anyway, so I consider myself a newbie and will prob. ask some very simple questions (sorry to bore ya'll) I havn't practiced what you guys call hive management hardly at all. I have caught swarms and got honey though. But I saw my first queen on a frame today.(thats a start) I'll get to one of my questions and not bore ya'll anymore. I took the top of of a hive today that hasn't produced honey for 2 years but managed to surive the winters. On the inner cover there are small (about thumb size) cells hanging down. what would they be? The hive has one broodbox and one super and not very populated with bees. Sorry this is so long. Thanks for listening- Bob Bee ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Are the cells open or capped?Most likely queen cells.If it was my hive I'd add another brood box under the supper.When you add the second box I would checkerboard the frames, one drawn , one foundation/starter strips.This will give the hive more room to grow.Might consider brushing all the bees out of the super and put a queen excluder under it just to make sure the queen is not in the super.If it has capped brood in it they will hatch out and then the bees should store nectar in it.This may ease the swarming instinct in this hive too.
The cells on top could be a couple of things from drone cells to queen cells to burr comb.With out a picture of it it is hard to say.
As I'm still new too I'm sure some seasoned people will chime in too..Correct me if I'm wrong too..
Good luck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like either swarm or superseder cells. How many are there? Also, are they capped? If not can you see larva or eggs?

[ May 24, 2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Neubee ]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ya'll.
This is actually a old hive and I don't see a lot of bees. There are 5 to 7 cells and I think that they are capped. Big at the botton and pointed on the end. I don't think it's swarm because of the few bees that I see going in and out.Not crowded at all. maybe just burr?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
If they are queen cells, PLEASE take pictures and post them. In thirty years I have never seen q-cells on the inner lid.
My bet is burr comb, built when they ran out of storage room. Add a super or hive body and let them expand. The flow is still on in Hartwell, so you should have time to draw out a deep and get a super off later in the year.

Donate your excluder to Tim in Wetumpka, and forget you ever owned it.

HI, TIM...
:D

[ May 24, 2006, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: iddee ]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Iddee,

I will try to take a pic but i think it's burr. All the bees are still working good. I'm trying to decide if the tulip popular has bloomed yet. I havn't seen any but I'm not up on when it's suppose to either. I'm just concerned that the bee population in that hive is low for some reason. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi IDDEE,just figured there would be brood in it and he could use the excluder to keep her(queen) out for awhile.Could remove it later...
My strongest hive has an excluder on it,strange thing is it has 2 queens in it.One below and one above.One bottom entrance..Have moved the queen above down below twice and she seems to go through the excluder and lay in the bottom supper ever time.I gave up and let her have it.
Have gotten 2 supers off already and still have three on it.I figure they know what they are doing...
It's all fun anyway.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
EXACTLY...So why have an excluder?
It's just something to get in my way and maybe the bee's way, too.
Still, my main objective was poking a little fun your way. If we all did it the same way we wouldn't have anything to talk about on the forum.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Bob,
You're south of me (kentucky) and our Tulip poplars have been blooming for a while and I think they are starting to drop. So I'm guessing yours has too. If you see blooms, then you know they are still blooming. If you don't, figure they have passed already.

I get that burr comb around the opening of the inner cover sometimes and I think it is from they trying to seal heat loss or something.

So how many frames of brood do you have? You mention only a few bees, but are they at least filling the bottom box?

Waya

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
bob sezs:
I don't think it's swarm because of the few bees that I see going in and out.Not crowded at all.

tecumseh adds:
welcome aboard bob...

my first take is that queen cells on an inner cover are mighty odd, so I think I would be more likely to think just a bit of connecting material. but your description along the way does sound like queen cells. if so, then based on the sentence copy and pasted above I would suspect the hive has already swarmed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wayacoyote,

Thanks

I really need to get into that hive and see whats going on rather than just guessing. Due to a lot of things before now, I havn't been much of a hive manager but, I'm determined to change that. Our tulip P may have bloomed, I usually notice them but we had a very cool spring and I thought that they might be a little late. How will I know when the flow is pretty much over? Is it called dearth? (I had to get webester out to see what it means) are you suppose to pull supers off then? I've been just guessing at the right time.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hey Bob Bee,

I come from the "you can do too much management" camp. If you're in there every week, I think you tend to set them back a bit. I prefer to leave them alone as long as they aren't going to swarm and they have a queen. For me, a few checks per year seems to be enough.

Now that doesn't mean I don't sit out there for hours watching them. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I keep a small pair of binoculars handy so that I can sit a few feet away and still get an extreme close-up look at them as they come and go from the hive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks hillside,

I understand what you're saying and I to like to watch them work, it's amazing. If I look at these and compare them to the swarm that I got a few weeks ago, I can tell that their not the same, less bees going in and out, I've already added a super to the swarm hive and added one to these but took it off what they didn't seem to do anything with it. When is it to late in the year to re-queen?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>have bees for 4 years and some how they have lived and produced honey . . .

Sounds like "good management" to ME

Now, NEXT question!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts