Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very beeginer question:
I bought 100 plastic cell cups with no pins.

I want to put them on Cell Builder Frame and don't know
if to glue them (what kind of glue?) or should i stick them to the frame
in another method.

Please help

Thanks
Randi

·
Registered
64 Posts
I haven't done it myself, but when I have seen video, it doesn't look like they use glue. They just insert the bars in the frame and insert them in the hive.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not sure what kind of cell cups you have but if there flat on the bottom just melt a little bees wax and stick'em on the bar. :) You don't want to use glue because you must pop'em off when there ready to be placed in mating nucs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the great information.

I have one more dummy question:
After grafting the young larva into the plastic cell, how it dosn't fall down
when putting the Cell Builder Frame into the starter hive?

Thanks again
Randi

·
Registered
676 Posts
Randi,

The larva you're grafting is SO small, it simply clings to the royal jelly you place in the queen cup before you graft. This technique is what is sometimes called "Wet Grafting".

Remember, the larva you're grafting is smaller than the letter "c" in typical newsprint or magazine typeface. It is ideally the size of an egg, but is laying down in the cell, rather than standing upright.

Due to the larva's small size, and the small bit of royal jelly in the bottom of the cell, the larvae simply hang in suspension.

Good luck,
DS

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you go in the bees today and see eggs that looks like rice then when is the best time to graft those eggs and also would it be best to start a cell builder a few days before grafting cell builder with caped brood bees honey pollen

·
Registered
115 Posts
if you go in the bees today and see eggs that looks like rice then when is the best time to graft those eggs and also would it be best to start a cell builder a few days before grafting cell builder with caped brood bees honey pollen
The sooner you can graft after the larva hatches the better the quality of the queens. You should always have your cell starters/finishers ready prior to starting with the grafting so that everything can flow smoothly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts