Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi...I am new to this forum..though got my first hives in 2003!
I wonder if any one can help......
I hived two packaged bees in April, both were doing well at first...now one is very weak... larvae are on the ground in front of the hive...when I noticed this went in & found mold on the bottom board...the bees are on the frames away from the mold...could not see a Queen...though saw a fully developed but still opaque bee being dragged out of its cell?? Also on one frame about 15 bullet shaped drones
If anyone can help...please!
Cheers Anne

·
Registered
671 Posts
You may be ok, but if you have a solid bottom board, make sure your hive is tilted forward just a bit to help water to drain out the front entrance. You might consider going to a screen bottom board when you get a chance. Also, you need to go into the weak hive and more fully investigate what is going on. Questions to determine are, "Do I have a good queen? Is she laying a nice pattern? Are eggs present? Is there some varmit or skunk that is bothering this hive of bees?" You get the idea. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you...I looked for the Queen...no luck. Though brood are present.
The hive body is tilted forward...we have had a very wet spring...
Do you know why the brood would be dragged out? Thks Anne

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am really not sure why brood would be dragged out unless you had a skunk or some other varmit bothering your bees. Of course, if you damage some combs whilst inspecting your hives, the bees will drag out damaged brood...but that doesn't sound as if it is your problem. Perhaps others will add their advice here. You certainly need to have a good queen and if after another inspection you don't then you either need to requeen or give them a frame of eggs from another hive and let them raise one of their own.

God bless from Tennessee!
---Fred

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Anne,
I'm over here in Concord, CA, & a member of mount diablo beekeepers assoc. We have several members in you're area.
http://www.diablobees.org/

If it would help you too see in my hives you're welcome to. I agree on the screen bottoms, & get a Popsicle stick or something similar under you're outer cover to let warm moist air escape. My inner covers all have small ventilation notches in them also.

Do you have a top feeder that might have leaked?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Bees drag out dead brood when it is diseased. If it is healthy and they cannot feed it to maturity, they eat it. If all your larvae are drones, you probably have a laying worker not a queen. If your hive is weak and diseased as it seems, you need to requeen as soon as possible. A hive that is not strong with almost every frame full is stressed and not able to defend against diseases, pests and parasites.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all...went into the hive again on Sunday added another borrowed frame of brood...they seemed healthier & busy, could not find a queen...still see brood...& one frame with bullet shaped drone cells about 15 of them.

KQ6AR, I would love to come & see your hives. I have been meaning to join Mount Diablo BK for years.
I will put pop sticks under inner cover.
510 384 4028 Thanks Anne

·
Registered
671 Posts
Way to go KQ6AR...glad you can help this person out!
God bless...
Fred
N4SSD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts