Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am in my 4th year of bee keeping and my first year of learning to keep bees. My wife and I started in 2016 with 1 colony which we bought as a package, it's hard to learn much with only one. We bought 2 more packages in 2017. The 2016 package overwintered but I think now that they barely made it through, they were a long time building up in the spring. This sounds crazy but we were just beginning to be able to tell the difference between capped brood and honey. So 2017 was ok we over wintered the hives and all 3 made it through to 2018. The winter of 18/19 I went to add a candy board in January just before a major winter storm and cold snap that followed, the bees weren't happy about me being in the hive and boiled up and stung me several times. In my haste to replace the lid I left it propped up on one side, and the poor bees were already living in the box with a SBB that wasn't covered. Temps dropped to 8 below for a couple of days and needless to say we lost that colony. I bought a Nuc to replace the colony I froze out in 2019 so we are back up to 3 colonies. The 2016 colony went queenless, she was in her 3rd year, and they failed to requeen. We waited for them to raise a queen and eventually decided we needed to requeen in late August, we lost that queen too and consequently the colony. We left the empty boxes on the stand and the wax moths made a mess of it. In 2020 I knew I needed to get some help so I began lurking in this forum, I found a thread about sustainable beekeeping which led me to Michael Palmer's videos. If you see this Michael thank you. I went from there to Randy Olivers's site, Michael Bush's site which led me to Dave Cushmans site and then to you tube Kamon Reynolds, Ian Steppler and more. I bought 1 more package so We went into 2020 with 3 healthy hives, and at this point I have 6 healthy colonies one struggling and 2 strong nucs. I want to thank the People on this forum and all of the people I mentioned. I can't tell you much good you have done for me and my small operation.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Welcome! Several recent new members from South or Central Illinois.

I hope you post what's going on with your bees. You are 2-3 weeks ahead of me in N Il so I know what to expect.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, Old Goat. Based on some of the names you mentioned, it sounds like you are doing your homework and getting some good advice.

Best of success to you in closing out this season.

Russ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts