Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys! Glad to be a part of this group. I have a question on installing bee packages. I live in Bardstown ky and I'm recieving 2 packages today at 530 pm and won't be able to install till 720pm. Doesn't get dark till 9 and weather should be bout 53 and dropping to 38 tonight. Should I do the dump method ? Or should I take few frames out and just leave box in the hive method? Just wandering if they will cluster around the queen in time? Any suggestions? Thanks Ben

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Put syrup on the screen until they don't take anymore. That way they have a stomach full of syrup to live on for a few days if it's too cold to take syrup. Dump them in. Either hang the queen cage or release her. Do NOT leave the cage on the bottom of the hive as they may abandon her to cluster at the top.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So syrup on the screen is the be package correct ? I'm assuming as soon as I pick them up spay them so they can consume on the way to my house ? Thanks for the input . And I will dump them if that's a quicker way for them to cluster to queen thanks :)

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
> I'm assuming as soon as I pick them up spay them so they can consume on the way to my house ?

They will tank up quite quickly. It doesn't matter if you wait until you get home. They will lose interest when their honey stomachs are full.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My main concern was I'm installing them late and if I spray them I was worried they freeze quicker but if they consume quickly ill do that instead

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
it is best to not getting them wet when applying the syrup, a brush-on may be better than a fine mist... if you did decide on the place-in way, get the package out within 2 days, the bees would like to make a burr comb mess. candy in the queen cage will reduce the chance of the queen flying off. if you use candy be sure the queen is out in 3 or 4 days [or when you pull the cage in a day or 2]. then other than adding 1:1 syrup stay out of the hive for 10 to 14 days...the shake-in way is the best way to go... do not overheat the bees on the way home... try to install them at over 60 degrees or so if possible.

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
>My understanding is that brushing takes the feet off the bees. I've never brushed syrup for that reason.

I used to brush it on all the time and never noticed a problem, but I usually dribble it more now because people talked about injuring their tongues. I doubt you'll hurt the feet brushing it if you are gentle, and I always was...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts