Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trading favors with a local beekeeper friend. I build some pieces of specialized gear, and he lets me take a few small splits from some of his strongest colonies.

Anyways, when I was there, yesterday, Sunday, 9 March 2014, he showed me, in a stack of idle supers, about six feet tall, the topmost supers, he had setup as swarm traps. And one of them had just captured a swarm (about the size of three softballs). He was using a technique, I hadn't heard of, yet. It was ingenious, so I thought I'd share it, here.

When he puts the lure combs, and queen pheromone into the trap, he intentionally leaves a space - the size to fit three combs - in the center of the trap box. The swarms seem to prefer beginning their new nest on the underside of the cover, and in the empty space between the lure combs. He waits until they've expanded their nests into the lure combs, then cuts the wild comb out and installs it into, what I call "Combsaver Clamshell Frames", which is one piece of gear I'm custom building for my part of my trade with him.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts