Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Wow, that's genius! I was hesitant to drill mine out and couldn't justify the $130 insert from lorrob. Where do I send the check? 馃ぃ Thanks for sharing your great idea.

Premium Member
Mutts.
But .... all of my wine has screw-tops. You people and your fancy things.
Aw, come on, even Two Buck Chuck comes with a real cork :p Now golf tees are fancy pancy rich folks toys;)

Am curious just what is pictured up above? Printed pattern on the outside and what looks like filter material inside. Not like any wine cork I have ever seen. Not that I drink wine... Did have a relative save me a lunch bag full of real corks. So far have used exactly one, to plug one of the five round entrances on my top bar.

Was very intrigued by the scraper in the video. $12 and not sure how you would re-sharpen 3D printed plastic so will pass for now.

Premium Member
Next Year: 8-Frame Mediums
Am curious just what is pictured up above? Printed pattern on the outside and what looks like filter material inside. Not like any wine cork I have ever seen.
Synthetic corks do not have the same drawbacks that natural cork has. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is as religious a debate as top-bar vs Langstroth.

Was very intrigued by the scraper in the video. $12 and not sure how you would re-sharpen 3D printed plastic so will pass for now.
You don't re-sharpen, you print multiples. I didn't see a scraper though so I guess I need to watch it.

Reactions: William Bagwell

Premium Member
I tried the wine cork route on the Apimaye hives about 18 months to 2 years ago but soon started looking for another way, As the holes in the Apimaye hives end up in the middle of the frames I was concerned that because of that I was not getting a good coverage of the inside of the hive. So I went the route of putting a wood bushing into the back of the Apimaye hive and in this way treat into the bee space in the bottom
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car
Wood Outdoor furniture Plant Bumper Gas

Registered
25 hives
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The same could be said for Apimaye hives, yet many of us buy them anyways.

I have the $130 "piece of metal", Apimaye 10 frame hive, and the Lorob Bees oxalic acid vaporizer. Worth every penny.
It's hard to make your money back from bees, I spent about $15,000 my first year, and have made about $5,000 this year (3rd year), that's honey, 3 cutout's and 15 nuc sales. I went with the Provap for $375 myself, I got the two 7 frame Apiyme hives with a gift certificate, I'd never pay that much myself, **** sure wouldn't pay $130 for a metal plate, I'd blow it in the entrance first. So anywhere you can cut costs will payoff.

Registered
It's hard to make your money back from bees, I spent about $15,000 my first year, and have made about $5,000 this year (3rd year), that's honey, 3 cutout's and 15 nuc sales. I went with the Provap for $375 myself, I got the two 7 frame Apiyme hives with a gift certificate, I'd never pay that much myself, **** sure wouldn't pay $130 for a metal plate, I'd blow it in the entrance first. So anywhere you can cut costs will payoff.
I鈥檓 not looking to cut costs, I鈥檓 looking for an enjoyable, effective, and overall quality beekeeping experience.

Premium Member
Next Year: 8-Frame Mediums
sure wouldn't pay $130 for a metal plate
I think it was the best idea he could come up with at the time, and the price is fair for what it is. The problem is not that the plate is not worth the money, but that the solution was not cost effective.

Did anyone notice that some of those nuc boxes are 3D printed as well as the entrance discs
I see that now! "Honey! I'm saving money again!" Still, my printer is 250 x 210 x 210 I think. One of those looks like 3D printed ends on wood, the other one looks like the side panels are 3D printed but in two sections.

It "feels like" those would be long-running prints, but I'd have to plot it out. Not gonna do that today, it's time to throw more crap in the dumpster!

ETA: I just noticed that was your pic - I think maybe we need to get a thread going with 3D printed beekeeping stuff. I'll go do that. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts