Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! 1st year beek trying to raise up first 5 frame nuke in their new 10 frame deep hive.

Lately while watching the bees I have noticed on the hot days they beard a lot and they take in a lot less sugar water when doing this. They have a screened bottom cover but it is on a solid surface so not much help in the ventilation there. So I looked up screened inner covers and want to give that a shot over the solid cover with the small oblong hole in the top. Here are some pics of the one I kind of designed myself after looking at many.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I took 1"x2" and near split in half with the table saw.
Cut to fit dimensions of my 10 frame langstroth hive boxes
Just butt jointed two rectangles with some titebond III ultimate and tacked with 1" brads.
Then sandwiched some aluminum window screen in between the two.
Pulled tight stapling along the way to keep the screen in place then more titebond and using brads to rack the two rectangles together.
Finally cut some triangles and wood strips out of scrap pine to add added corner strength.

Now the wooden strips you see can swivel as seen in pic two so they can adjust more or less air flow.

But as I type I remember my telescoping cover and they may not swivel out much. So I may just need to remove the brads and just set the strips in and the cover will hold them on or remove for more air flow.

Just going to give it a couple good coats of paint tonight and install it tomorrow. I'll update how it goes.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Looks great! Depending on the thickness of the corner triangles, you could leave the strips out. Nothing can get into the hive through the screen--too small for hive beetles. I have had the bees close off part of the screen as they try to close it off in the fall when it gets cooler.(waited to late before switching to regular inner covers I guess.) Should cut down on the bearding. When I put my screened ICs on this year the bearding cut back a lot.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The triangle are about 1/4 of an inch or maybe about 5/16. I may just leave the front and back off and see how it goes. I'll play around till I see what works for my bees.

With the super humid near 100*F weather I get in OK I just think my bees need this ventilation. I don't want to be out there half the time unless I am hitting the river or lakes.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I made up something on the same lines. But out of old rotten boxes. I cut the rot out then used three fingers worth. Drilled four holes on the side and screen it all. Then I plan on using them for quilt boxes this winter.
David

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is raining hard today. So unless the sun comes out in a few hours I may have to wait till tomorrow to put on the new inner cover. We will see.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so my inner cover has been on for a while now. As described in another thread I made some mis measurements and needed to make a second inner cover the proper length so that the telescoping cover is not a tight fit. On the second one I left the small swiveling pieces of wood off.

Today is one of the first days where the temps stayed steady over 93*F with highs up at 98*F and humidity between 50% - 60% so it is hot and sticky. I am noticing plenty bees on the landing fanning to keep the hive cool but no bearing at all going up the hive. I think we have a winner!

·
Registered
638 Posts
make a second inner cover the proper length so that the telescoping cover is not a tight fit.
Did the same thing...had an inner cover too tight and when I pulled the lid off...the cover came with it. You can throw the inner cover on the table saw and trim the two ends just a hair and repaint the ends. No need to make a new one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about that but I already have a couple boxes already to long (20 1/4"). So I am going to make a cover and bottom the same length and just have one hive all to long. I'll start a new hive in that next year with a split hopefully.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've found that the simplest and very effective means of venting is to put six round head screws on the bottom edges of the inner cover. It gives an even 1/16" vent space around the entire top of the hive. In the winter I can leave it in place if the weather is wet or damp, or just turn the cover over so that the screw heads are on the top. With this I've had no bearding and very little fanning even on the hottest days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts