Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm a 28yo happily married father of 1 in Hartsville, SC. I have been a Nuclear Auxiliary Operator for the past 5 years and spent 4 years prior as a Draftsman and 3d designer. I have decided to try beekeeping as a hobby because I think it's interesting, needed, and not very common in my particular area.

I have several goals this year:
-Keep all 4 hives alive
-Produce some local honey (for me, family, friends, and maybe sale some)
-Make an observation hive/ learning materials/ samples to go and educate some local elementary schools next school year (Wife is a k5-1st grade teacher)
-Make some successful splits
-Not get stung on my eyeball ;)

Next year:
Grow my number of hives
Try and make the hobby profitable to support my fishing habit

My first 4 hives show up next week for assembly (10 frame langstroth, 2 deep hive bodies, 1 medium super). I'll post some pictures of assembly and painting as well as designing the hive stands.

I look forward to your help and advice.
Heads up: I love forums and the detailed user content (pictures or it didn't happen)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Good luck! Educate your self on mites and small hive beetles. Scientific beekeeping has a wealth of great information. Most of the time you won't make enough honey to harvest the first year. New hives have to build alot of new comb. Make sure you feed them also. George Imries pink pages are good also. Robert

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm all inshore: reds, flounder, trout. Still looking for a boat to buy for this year. I sold my flats boats a couple years ago and regret it.

Do you know who sales good package bees or nucs in the 843/803 area?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts