Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I put a new robber screen on my weakest of three hives on Saturday evening.
I put it on, because I have been feeding this hive and did not want the other two strong hives to start robbing.
There was no signs of robbing prior to putting on the screen, at least to the best of my knowledge. No fighting, dead bees or chewed up wax....
On Sunday the day after installing the screen I saw a lot of bees on the front of the screen. Not sure whether they were the bees from that hive or from the hive right beside it. This was at 2:00 pm

Question #1 Is it possible for bees to be sedate and subtle when robbing and just coming and going with out any fighting or dead bees. Or is it always a free for all, all out frenzy with fights and the whole works? This would be when there was no robber screen on the hive I mean.

Today when I got home at 4:30 I can see a lot of bees hanging on the front of the screen and flying around in front of it, plus bees above the screen on the hive front? they are just sitting there, not being frantic or anything.

I have a video of the action Sunday at 2:00 pm, if anyone could have a look and see what you think of the behaviour. Maybe they are just the bees from that hive hanging out and still not used to their new screen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAz-kRQIHkk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUW5SOcoPsHJkpJUdPsB0wQw

Glen

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
It doesn't look like robbing to me....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Each time I've adjusted the entrance, bees go to the previous entry point for a day or two.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
This is a bad case of robbing
It dosent always look like a war

·
Registered
70 Posts
Question #1 Is it possible for bees to be sedate and subtle when robbing and just coming and going with out any fighting or dead bees. Or is it always a free for all, all out frenzy with fights and the whole works? This would be when there was no robber screen on the hive I mean.
I'm no expert but this is my recent experience. I started feeding my weak hive also. I noticed that activity immediately increased at the entrance and kept up even with a reducer. Nothing violent and no damage, just a lot of bees and chugging 2 gallons a day. I put on a screen and the consumption immediately went down to about a gallon. Lot of bees hung out on the screen for a day o so, but gradually tapered off.

I don't think the robbing is always violent.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think the bees are handing off nectar through the front of the screen. I had a hive that was slightly ajar so that the inside bees were lined up along a gap. I thought it was meal time. I was wrong. I think it was Vance who explained that the returning foragers were handing off the nectar to the inside bees. The bees really know how to keep the line moving.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Those are leaves on the ground
The tip off in that pic is all the bees trying to find a crack between boxes to get in
Good Luck, Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.