Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a cage with 10 new queens I'm going to use for my splits and new packages arriving in a couple days. So the cage is sitting on my desk and these queens are piping like crazy from top of heir lungs! One is especially vocal, 2-3 sort of follow, the rest is just a choir. I read somewhere they are doing it as a "var" call on other queens. Is that what it is? They smell each other and call to fight? I wonder if aggressiveness of their calls somehow related to there ability level? But, any way, it's interesting to observe it.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I've heard old queens doing it in established hives. I freaked thinking maybe i put two in there so i found the piping and she was just singing away. Just laying her heart out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yep, hear and see them do the same when new queens are hatching in a hive, my grandson calls it "the queen throw down":D I guess that is young people talk for "lets rumble".

I have even heard them through the wall of a hive if their out and about on a search and destroy mission, harder to hear the ones quacking in the cell for me. Had one queen I bought that didn't make a sound until I put her in her new hive, she was yelling in that cage while I closed the top.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts