Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed past weekend a new queen in my hive and today I checked if she been released. Unfortunately she was not and is dead in that little box. Does that mean I had already a queen in there I didn’t notice?
And this young queen killed her?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked her up past weekend and put the cage in the hive right away. Not sure how long she been in there before I got her.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Without more specific information there are obviously number of things that could have happened. First I would contact the person where you purchased the queen and ask for replacement. Although every situation is different I remove the cork at the candy end and let the bees eat thru it so the queen can be replaced. Also I hope you placed the cage between 2 frames with the screen facing preferably down or up but not on the side.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ask for anew queen. They dont guarantee them but its worth asking. I have not had this happen even with queens I ordered from California. I usually check them in 3 days and then release if necessary. The dead queen does not mean you had another queen. Can you check your hive and look for eggs, larve, or new light covered brood as that would be a clue.

·
Registered
739 Posts
A WEEK!!So you installed her LAST weekend, and checked today, Sunday. You should have checked earlier, the same day you put her in the hive. At the most 2 or 3 days later. I've been able to put a caged queen in the hive in the morning, check on them by the afternoon, and see that they are feeding her through the cage, then I can let her out, or see if maybe it'll take a while longer for them to except her.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m after starting the new hive i lost the first queen. Had no eggs, larvae and brood. This hive is since in trouble it seems. The population is poor.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Its possible your hive swarmed and there is a virgin or newly mated queen in there. Were you able to see eggs when you knew you had a queen? J

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I can't seem to enlarge your pictures enough to tell, but I don't see queen cells. Maybe some queen cups. If those are representative of the hive, it does not look good. Do all the frames look like that? Dates on when and what you observed would help. A swarmed hive, especially one that has swarmed multiple times will look like yours. You could have a queen in there and hive would still be in danger. If you have another hive, put a frame of eggs in and check 3-4 days later and see if they are making emergency cells. J

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As it turns out it seems I have a laying workers. Bunch of drone cells all over. Now the fun begins??

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I’ve checked today and it seems there is very spotty brood, larvae. Are those all Queen cells. See attached pictures.
Pictured are classic drone brood from laying workers.
So in all likely-hood they would kill your new queen anyway because they are "queen-right", as far as they are concerned.

The acceptance likely-hood is pretty obvious as soon as you place a caged queen on top of the frames.
You probably missed the signs of aggression against the queen when she was introduced.
You should be checking for such signs as soon as you got the queen introduced - so to know your next moves forward.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
How did you put the queen cage in the hive? The cage should be placed so that the workers have access to the queen through the screen. It is possible to suffocate the queen if you press the screen into a drawn frame.
Also, if you put the candy side down, if any of the attendant bees die, they will drop and cover the candy opening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts