Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I collected a small swarm on 5/16. Not real big. Maybe the size of a cantaloupe. The colony seems to be working well. Plenty of drawn comb, nectar and pollen stores. Still no signs of a laying queen. I did see the queen on 5/30 but still no signs of laying. Is this a swarm with a virgin queen? Am I being too impatient with her if it’s a virgin?

·
Registered
323 Posts
You may have gotten an after-swarm which contains an unmated virgin queen. She may just need time to mate, or she wasn't successful. Can you give a frame of eggs to the swarm and see if they raise a new queen?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may do that if there’s no signs of laying soon. I’m going to check on Saturday. We have 7 other colonies that are doing well enough that 1 or 2 less brood frames wouldn’t hurt them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I collected a small swarm on 5/16. Not real big. Maybe the size of a cantaloupe. The colony seems to be working well. Plenty of drawn comb, nectar and pollen stores. Still no signs of a laying queen. I did see the queen on 5/30 but still no signs of laying. Is this a swarm with a virgin queen? Am I being too impatient with her if it’s a virgin?
For some reason this year queens are taking their sweet time to mate. A fellow beekeeper in my area told me one of his queen took 38 days. He is meticulously about maintaining records of his hives. I am having a similar issue, I pulled out queen in swarm mode and the original hive still don't show eggs at day 30 from the date the original queen has been pulled out. The new queen looks mated but not laying yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m really hoping to see some sign of laying this weekend. She’s in there. I’m not experienced enough to tell if she’s mated or not. I should have taken a pic of her.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like that’s all she needed. A little more time. Checked the hive today and had a frame and a half loaded with eggs, larvae and capped brood.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Looks like that’s all she needed. A little more time. Checked the hive today and had a frame and a half loaded with eggs, larvae and capped brood.
What a great feeling! Congrats! I’ve found that my impatience really gets in the way when it comes to bees, especially the queen’s mating/maturing process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts