Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after checking on a swarm with a suspected virgin queen, that was captured 24 days ago, I finally saw larvae. Nothing is capped yet. The bees have only drawn worker comb, no drone comb. There is a small patch of larvae in one frame that has half the cells left open. The rest of the frames are filled with syrup/nectar. I am concerned about the size of the larvae. It looks like she might be a drone layer. What is a reasonable time to wait to determine a newly mated queen's laying ? The workers built two open queen cells (quite a bit longer than cups) on a frame that is otherwise capped syrup, which seems a little odd. I have not tried to give this colony brood from another hive yet.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You will not be able to determine if she is laying drone eggs in worker cells until they are capped. This happens on day 9 after the egg is laid. If you mean what size and kind of pattern she is laying, that will depend on the condition of the comb and the number of adult workers in the colony. I would give a new queen a month after she starts to lay, if she is putting the proper eggs in the proper cells. There are many things that affect the queen's pattern, and the bees usually detect a problem before I do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts