Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on monday the 17 after dark, I did a simple top box/bottom box split, I had inspected a few days before and both boxes had stores and brood. Moved both boxes to a different yard.

On tuesday AM I looked to see which box had the queen, and gave my package queen to the other box. (no agressive behavior) Left both corks in.

Wed. bees feeding queen, removed cork on candy end. Then on thursday or friday, (not sure which) I removed the empty cage.

So yesterday I thought I would look for eggs, no eggs no queen, she was small and very dark, my bees are light would have been easy to find. What I did find were 2 frames with 2 queen cells on each near the bottom but appear to be emergency cells. Not wanting to waste queen cells I put one of the frames with some honey and brood in a nuc box and left the other.

So here is the question, they were only queenless for 12 hours and never hostile to the new queen, so I would guess they did not have queen cells when I put her in, so would the math work for them to be able to make queens fom eggs laid on monday afternoon? What else could have happened?

I really like the original queen, and was gonna use her as a queen mother this summer anyway.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So am I right thinking eggs laid by the old queen on Monday, are an egg for 3 days (so till thursday afternoon) then the larva is still usable as a queen for 2 more days?? So if the egg is from monday what day will the queens hatch?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts