Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am new to the forum. I am a first year beekeeper with the year prior being mentored and researching. I started out with two NUCs. Both were very healthy and the queens were laying great. Unfortunately I lost one of my queens. I did what the books said and moved a frame of eggs from the healthy hive into the queen-less hive. After the entire process, I have finally found the hive rebounding and a really nice laying pattern. I didn't find her today but the population is growing and things are turning around. Thanks all for the input here.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Good job and congrats on your success. Sometimes I just look for eggs in the center of the cell and if I see them, don't bother to look for the queen cause she is there. Get your regular size hive boxes ready cause you might be switching out your nuc soon. I kind of use a two week approach with nucs after I've got a laying queen. After two weeks, generally, I move them to a 10 frame box, especially if I've already got drawn out comb to use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MDS, thanks for the reply.
I bought two NUCS and moved them immediately into 10 frame boxes. The one queen was there but must have died or something. Im just happy my other have was doing so well. I added my first honey super to the strong hive yesterday. They filled up their second deep pretty quickly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's fun to see the work of the queen you raised isn't it?!

I named the queen my bees raised in a similar fashion :lol: even though I've only seen her once, way back when the nuc was still a nuc. Who knew you'd get attached to a bug? :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts