Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started introducing a queen three days ago, I held the oild queen in a temporary cage and today she was accidently let loose with her attendants. Wondering what's next, the new queen is still in her cage in the hive. Will the old queen go back to the hive approximately 500 yards away? Do I do a hive inspection and look for the old queen or release the new one?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm somewhat confused at your description. Is the new queen in a different hive in the yard? I ask because you asked if the old queen would return to the hive which suggests 2 hives.

If this is 2 separate hives, 1 with the new queen and 1 with the old then you most likely don't need to worry but if the queen was released in the air I would still not expect her to return to the old hive (mainly because unless she had swarmed out she wouldn't be able to locate the old hive.

You could play it safe and leave the new queen caged for a few more days; the bees will feed her and take care of her and you will be able to tell if the old queen returned because they bees would become aggressive towards the new queen if the old one found her way back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One hive, I removed the old queen and put her in a holding cage with attendant in case the introduction of the new queen failed I would have a replacement at hand to minimize the interruption on the hive.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
Queens seldom leave the hive except to mate. She will not go back to her old hive 500 yards away. How the queens treat each other in the same hive when both are laying queens is unpredictable, they may fight and one may die (even with a cage between them) or the workers may reject one or they may coexist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts