Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did a inspection about a week and a half ago. No brood eggs anything so i gave them a couple frames of brood and purchased a mated marked queen. Installed her in the hive last Wednesday.. Went in to hive today and didn’t see her but there were eggs and cage was empty. And when I mean looked for her I did for like 30 min and nothing. Didn’t look like laying worker eggs were centered and only 1 in each cell. Is it possible they removed the paint? Did I have a queen before? Happy Easter

·
Registered
790 Posts
Possibly the first queen killed the second. Or you just didn’t see the marked one. Young queens are often skiddish. What matters are eggs. Laying workers don’t develop that quickly. Let which ever queen that is in there build up. Over the next couple weeks go out and work on finding the queen. Spend 5 min or so on it. Seeing eggs is enough at this point. Queen finding skills can be developed all summer long.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Next time, check out the youtube vids of Michael Palmer for checking your hive for queenlessness. They are in a sticky above. I did the test of placing my new caged queen on the top bars and they made a beeline right to her. If they are not clinging to the cage trying to kill her, they will brush right off with your finger. If they do, you still have a queen. I have not noticed the behavior he shows in the other video, but I look for it when I question whether I have a queen. J

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. When I first got her I put the cage rite on top of the frames and the bees were very calm. Climbed on cage but I could brush them off very easily. So since you say that they must have been queen less. Just surprised I couldn’t see her. Marked with a bright fluorescent green mark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts