Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...new to beekeeping...got new colony w/queen bee on Saturday. I place the hive with Queen in the box/super. The queen bee was not out of her cage until Thursday (I was checking daily to see if she was out). I was able to locate her with the hive outside the queen box she came in so thought all was good.

Was out today to replace the feeder...I notice a small group of bees on the ground about 5 yards from the box/super...as I look closer I noticed the queen bee was with them (the bee is marked). I managed to capture the queen bee in an empty feeder jar and place her box into the box/super but I am worried something is wrong....I would appreciate any suggestions/feedback.

·
Registered
338 Posts
New colony or package? I have had a new package queen abscond before with just a handful of bees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply...its a new package. I put her back but she was on the bottom of the box when I did so. I could not resist to go back out there again as I was going to put her on the frame with the other bees. When I went out she was still there and on the frame with the bees. At this point, I am just going to wait a week till my next check and keep my fingers crossed.

Any idea what may have caused this?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the reply...its a new package. I put her back but she was on the bottom of the box when I did so. I could not resist to go back out there again as I was going to put her on the frame with the other bees. When I went out she was still there and on the frame with the bees. At this point, I am just going to wait a week till my next check and keep my fingers crossed.

Any idea what may have caused this?
I cannot say with assurance what the problem is, sometimes if a package is in a "package" too long, bad things happen. You can have a queen who hasnt laid in a week or more and they just think something is wrong with her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts