Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stolen from another post and taken totally out of context: (regarding new queens)

"They can lay multiple eggs in one cell, lay drone brood, all sorts of random stuff."

Wondering more about this as I have a new queen (hatched into a mating nuc on June 29)that is showing signs of being a drone layer.
She started to lay on July 3. I removed a frame of eggs from her on July 4. I thought that might be a bit early but some one else recently posted that their queen started to lay in two or three days so I thought, ok - me too. She's fully extended, acts like the queen, gets respect from the workers, etc, etc.

Now I'm seeing the bees are starting to cap the larva as if they are going to be drones.
Wondering if it just because she's new.

Any thoughts?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Acutally I'd say new queens are LESS likely to lay drones. The drone layers usually don't start to lay until about 21 days or more after emergence. If they lay sooner that's usually a sign they are mated. I'd keep an eye on things and see what deveolops in the next week. If you don't start seeing a lot of worker brood by then I'd requeen.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I went and stood beside this nuc today. I noticed that it wasn't as busy as the others so I openned it up. It's got a nice, fat, extended almost normal in every way queen. One small problem - she is a drone layer. I suspected something was amiss with this queen as I saw eggs in 4 or 5 days after she emerged. I thought that it was quite queer as normally you have to wait a week or two. So this week end I'll be combining this mess with another nuc in the yard.

Any one need an Italian drone layer?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts