Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two queens due this week. I plan to make a split and use one of the queens for that.(Russian) I know a hive should be queenless for 24 hrs before starting the introduction procedure. I'm thinking I should go ahead and make the split today so they will be ready by Tues. evening at the earliest. Not sure when the queens will be here. Thinking Wed-Fri. As long as I make sure all larvae are 4 + days old, I shouldn't have any problems in that respect? Any corrections and suggestions would be graciously appreciated.:)

Rick SoMd

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
You should be fine but here's what I would do. Nothing. At least not until I have the queens in hand. I'd rather bank the queens for a day or two than run the risk of having something happen during shipping. Also, while it's nice to leave them queenless for a day, it isn't essential.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I totally agree with Raven...wait until you are sure you have two live queens in hand. Also be sure you get eyes on your queens in the hives you are making the nucs from so you don't move her over. :)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.:) I suffer from "Incomplete Beek Thinkin":rolleyes: You answered the question I guess I was really trying to ask,,,Would it be better to. It will work even better because the weather is turning. Be gettin some T Storms soon. Once i make the split,,,,I'm moving it to a friends house where there are no bees close by till they build their pop. up.
Thanks
Rick SoMd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts