Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all
new user first time post.

I received a new mail order mated queen last Friday and introduced her to a nuc with a full frame of capped brood and a frame of food and some capped drone brood. I hung her cage in nuc for a day and than last night released her. everything looked good until this AM, I found small ants throughout the hive and most bees dead or hurting badly. I cleaned out the ants and found her majesty filling herself up on honey. I relocated a new nuc box with same brood and another frame of capped brood and noticed brood and drone hatching and I blocked the entrance,
does anyone have any other suggestions.
without attendants how long should it take for her to begin laying?
I am concerned she was gorging herself to vacate the hive to relocate.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A few questions - did you transfer the attached bees with the frames of brood? If you did and are worried about the bees and the new queen absconding, you should put in a frame of open brood also to help anchor them ( you would have to check for swarm cells) and if you have a queen excluder, you could put it on the bottom of the box above the bottom board so the queen could not leave.

JC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few questions - did you transfer the attached bees with the frames of brood? If you did and are worried about the bees and the new queen absconding, you should put in a frame of open brood also to help anchor them ( you would have to check for swarm cells) and if you have a queen excluder, you could put it on the bottom of the box above the bottom board so the queen could not leave.

JC

Answer: no bees active on the frames I used to seed the new nuc, I shook them off, and I didn't see any new bees hatching at that time. there was some uncapped larva but not a lot and the brood pattern was full on both sides of the frame, it came from a very good queen.
I closed the entrance but can use the queen excluder instead, good idea thank you.
I moved the hive to a stand with wet feet, coffee cans filled with water, so the ants are in check.
my main concern is the queen and her productivity at this point.

·
Registered
273 Posts
When starting a nuc, you move frames WITH the bees on the frames. Your ant problem was probably aggravated by no adult bees to defend the hive. If you do not have significant hatched bees in the hive now, you are going to have to recage the queen and start over.

JC

·
Registered
273 Posts
Being new to beekeeping can be a tough learning curve, I suggest watching you-tube videos if you don't have a experienced beek in the area to help you out. There are a bunch of videos and podcasts out there on all kinds of subjects to do with beekeeping. I read a lot of books before I started, and still messed up on things, the books don't always think to mention everything you need to know.

JC

·
Registered
825 Posts
BTW....Welcome to beesource! Come here and ask next time before you proceed. I am surprised the queen is still alive with no attendants. Another question...why would you try starting a new nuc this late in the season? Did you consider making sure there was enough time for them to build up prior to your fall and winter weather setting in? Not trying to be mean... What resources did you pull from? Do you have more than one hive?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts