Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Beek; new hives; new foundation ; new packages. Here is a photo of a frame I just pulled at 2 weeks after installing packages. They’re doing well pulling comb on all frames. I think (believe) it’s going ok so far. They’re taking about a gallon of sugar water per hive each week. Haven’t looked for the Queen yet but been leaving them alone.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing next? OAV? Leave em alone? When should I worry about adding another box up top? Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looking good. Add another deep when they've got 7 or 8 frames drawn. As for OAV, I usually wait until I've pulled the midsummer harvest. Other opinions will surely follow.

What to do next? Get used to examining combs for eggs and larvae of different sizes. Try to anticipate which combs are most likely to hold the queen. You want to be able to conduct a quick but thorough inspection; now is the time to start practicing.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Be careful not to overfeed. With little drawn comb, overfeeding could result in backfilled brood frames. I usually only feed a new package about a gallon and then let them fend for themselves after that.
I would leave them alone for a few weeks and let them build up. Don't add a second box until 80-90% of the frames are filled. Bees prefer to be crowded. When you do add a new box, move 2 brood frames from the lower box into the upper box to make the bees start working it faster.
Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up question.... adding the second deep box when the first is 80-90% filled. Filled with comb; filled with brood; honey; pollen; filled with what? And filled means both sides of each frame right?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Mine tend to fill comb with sugar syrup honey or brood as they draw the comb. In a 10 frame box, when about 15 frame sides are nearly drawn completely out, I add another box. Generally I try to move at least one frame of brood into that new box to draw young bees up into it.
Just another opinion. I continue to feed mine as long as they continue to draw new comb. I do inside inspections regularly. Once they stop drawing comb, I continue to feed until they have stored what I believe is enough to get them through winter.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Add another box when the first box is drawn 80%. Can be filled with anything the bees put there.

If you installed the package 14 days ago, your window of opportunity for using OAV has now closed since you obviously have capped brood on that frame. I do OAV on new packages and swarms installed on undrawn comb about the eight or ninth day afterward.

Leaving them alone will not teach you beekeeping. That can only be learned by doing it. The bees don't need to see you, but you need to see them, weekly in your first summer. T

I feed (modest but steady amounts after the first weeks) until they have drawn enough comb for winter. But questions of how long to continue to feed are local ones. One thing to understand, though, is that the urge to draw comb and the pace you can get them to do it will slack off considerably after mid-July. What you're seeing now is the spring and new-colony pace. it will not be equaled at any other time in the colony's history.

Nancy

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks Nancy and everyone else too. Here’s another pic from my inspection. Keeping an eye out for the Queen but not wasting time hunting her down.
That’s good looking brood comb. You’re doing great!

I feed until they draw two brood boxes to prep for winter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks Nancy and everyone else too. Here’s another pic from my inspection. Keeping an eye out for the Queen but not wasting time hunting her down.
Is that the same frame, other side? I am drooling over all your capped brood! What type of bees were in the packages?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that the same frame, other side? I am drooling over all your capped brood! What type of bees were in the packages?
BumbleBeek. The second pic was one of the outer frames showing how they’re filling out the frames in a 10 deep. Carniolans from California supplier that were source locally. Tons of resources on a farm with little competition so maybe a great environment is helping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts