Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I started 3 packages on April 6, 2014 in 8 frame mediums. Maryland has had great weather this week for them to get started but after today is expecting nights close to freezing and days only to 50 degrees F. The hives have mason jar feeders over the inner covers with insulation around the jars. I am considering putting in follower boards with insulation on the north side to compact them more to prevent chilled brood and then move them back and out as the hives develop.

Would this be advised?
Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
191 Posts
Debbie- Follower boards are an excellent choice all year around in the brood nest. They provide excellent insulation
for both wintering and for summer cooling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. When you use yours year-round, are they bee-tight or do you allow them around to chase small hive beetles and moths?

The temperature will be going from 70 today to 35 by Wednesday morning, so I hope adding follower boards will save some brood.

Debbie

·
Registered
191 Posts
They are 1/2 in plywood put inside 1/2 of a frame. They just hang on the outsides with 9 frs. in
between. The bees when crowded will occupy both sides. Don't have beetle or moth problems.
You can also use them to feed and expand a nuc inside a 10fr box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts