Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
first week of first package ....

you should see one HAPPY new Beekeeper!!!!!

but inside the box well.... lets start outside

you should see bees buzzing around the entrance taking orientaion flights and bringing in pollen

inside the box the queen should be released by now and might even be laying
(but ive had the queens go 12 days before starting)

the workers should have about 3-4 frames with drawn white/yellow comb- and you should be sucking through about 1-2 quarts of 1:1 syrup

they will start to store pollen also - it might look watery but thats ok
the sugar syrup will start to be stored near the top of the frames

is this what you are seeing???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i look at them today and they have about 3 frames drawn and a lot of pollen and nectar, no eggs so far. They are not eating much SW. The bees are at the entrance looking very confused.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Are you using an entrance feeder, or hive top? Ought to be feeding by the gallon. Pretty soon should be some eggs, but you don't want to get into the hive daily... once a week is about enough...or maybe now every 5-6 days, to check progress and learn. Next time you enter the hive, find the queen, see if there are eggs in the frame she's on. Doesn't matter how deep the cells are, since they're establishing their hive, she'll lay in shallow cells and they'll build them out quickly.

If syrup and pollen has clogged the brood nest, put a frame of foundation inside your outside frame of syrup and pollen, so they'll draw that and that gives her some empty cells in which to lay.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Every one is a little different, but the 2 we installed last year had eggs 5 days after installation.
The wax was only about 1/8" deep on the cell walls, & she was laying in them already.
plastic frames.

The eggs can be hard to see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i checked my hives today one hive i found the queen and there is capped brood, the other no queen and the bees are acting nervous and weird. Now what should i do?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Order another queen and give the queenless hive a frame of brood from the other package/hive when(or a day or 2 before) you install(in cage) the new queen. You could also do a newspaper combine with the queenless on top of the queen right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talk to the president of the bee club who I got my packages though he said he will call and get me a queen.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Make sure you have her in the cage inside the hive a few days before she is released.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts