Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first package yesterday. I plan on installing it in an all medium super lang. My concern is that when I was ordering frames and foundation, I chose to get all small cell beeswax foundation. The night before my order arrived, I was reading in the forums that it would cause certain disaster to put a new unregressed package (Italians) on small cell foundation. It would take a week or more to get new foundation at this point. Should I ignore the warnings and just do it? I had thought about using a few foundationless frames along with the others anyway. Is that advisable, to mix and match? If so in what proportion? Since I am using mediums I thought that I would start with two supers. That's what I read that I should do, anyway. Would one super with scf and one with foundationless be the way to go? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I slice all of my foundation up into strips and just use it as starter strips, doesn't really matter what cell size the foundation is. Also helps the foundation go farther.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Never had a issue with it either. They built just fine on it. Kept the small cell on the top and middle then toward the bottom build some drone size for the boys.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You mention regressed bees. I have seen this before but have no idea what it means. what are regressed bees? And why do I want them?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well, I have one hive that butchered my SC foundation.....drew out tons of drone cells in it.....this hive does love it's drones. Oh well, bees will be bees.

On a side note to SC users, do you also use SC foundation in your supers??
Thx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts