Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 4 lb package last Wednesday, of Russian Carniolan hybrids. Install went smoothly. I put them on old comb I had from last year, and gave them a frame of capped honey. They took a gallon of syrup in 2 days.

The problem is when I get within 10 feet of the hive I'll have a couple bees in my face, and if stand around long enough, I get stung. The defending bees will even follow me until I am well out of site of the hive.

This is my second year, and second hive so I don't have much to compare to. The Italians I had last year were really mellow. The only time I'd get stung would be if I did something wrong or stupid.

This is a big problem for me because I have a small backyard, and I need to be able to use it without getting stung all the time.

I know I can requeen if they don't eventually calm down, but how long after requeening would it take for the hive to change its demeanor? I don't think I can survive a several month process while the old bees are replaced by bees from the new queen.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Well first, if you just installed a package it is doubtful that the queen and bees are related at this point. So maybe you got AHB along with a nice queen. It will take at least a month for those old bees to die off though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It isn't clear from yuor post if you've actually inspected the hive.

I would suit up and see if your queen's ok.

You also might check the hive entrance to see if there are signs of skunks, etc. bothering your colony.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the exact same experience four years ago. Mellow Italians my fisrt year and Carniolans my second that acted as you describe.
That behavior lasted about a month and then they calmed down. Haven't had that happen since.
Good luck

·
Registered
662 Posts
As others have suggested, you need to wait for your new queen to begin laying and also for your old bees that came with your package to die off. My guess is, that in several weeks you will find the temperment of your bees is much better than it is now...of course...that's just a guess, but the disposition of the bees that came in your package most likely is very different from the bees that will be produced by your new queen. Let us know how it goes. Again, I bet in a few weeks things will improve tremendously. Unless of course, you have problem with a skunk or some varmit bothering your hive and stirring up the girls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts