Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just received our new bee packages yesterday. They were put into the packages on Thursday. When we got home yesterday the wind was blowing about 25 knots and it was getting worse. I decided to wait until today hoping the weather would improve. It will be in the low 50s and a little wind. The weather is supposed to be colder the next few days. My plan is to install them this afternoon around 2 when it is warmest. The hives are new with foundation only on the frames. I have top feeders for them as well. Any suggestions on the installation? We are new to all this so I want to give them the best opportunity.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Late afternoon screen them in until dusk is always good. Give them the night to take hold. When you pull the screen at dusk use something to make the entrance is a small one.

I like to marshmallow plug them to get the girls to start on comb before she gets out a day or two later. Some packages swarm so beware of that. Eggs are a great way to lock them into staying.

I get my 150 in two weeks. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. We installed earlier today and all went well we will leave them for a week before we peak.

·
Registered
206 Posts
By don't peak does that mean not opening the hive? What if you have an observation window would it be ok to peek in that after a couple of days?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Should you add some pollen patty when you hive a package set of bees? And does anyone know how much 1:1 feed that packaged bees will eat in a day?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts