Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I got my very firs nuc last night and put it into my hive this morning. Supplier said to start feeding. I put a five fame nuc into an eight frame deep. How long do I need to feed. I am in the Atlanta GA area.I was planning to wait until about 80% pf the empty frames were drawn before adding another brood box. Sound OK?

·
Registered
760 Posts
feed until they dont take syrup

also feed if you need frames drawn out - they cant make wax without sugars

and if they dont have to fly 3 miles to bring sugar home ..... the faster they will make wax

hope this helps and have fun with your bees

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
feed until they dont take syrup

Stupid question, probably. I am using a hive top feeder. How do I tell if they are no longer taking the syrup?

Also, How much brood space do I need? Is one deep usually enough and then add supers for honey?

·
Registered
760 Posts
-- you know when they are out of syrup the same way you know you are full from dinner!!!!!--- when they stop taking syrup -- you will have to not fill it up

one deep box not going to hold brood - they need at least 2 deeps or 3 med for brood area -

the queen will lay enough eggs in one day to fill a deep frame - and it takes 21 days before she can lay in the same spot again - so you need 20 deeps to make her happy --- anything less and she will up and swarm

hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts